I know I’ve thanked you time and time again on this blog, but you just keep on delivering and so I have to keep on thanking you.
I just love this recent instalment, despite the – unnecessary in my view – voiceover towards the end:
Given the greatness that has gone before, I was actually pretty underwhelmed by your ad for the New Golf, as from a car advertising perspective it’s pretty undifferentiated.
Water splashing over a gleaming car, blah, blah, blah. But frankly it doesn’t matter.
I still want one and that’s because the brand and the product are so strong.
One run of the mill ad is not going to undo years of brilliant brand building.
I spend a fair amount of time on the M40 and I regularly find myself musing on the topic of cars, usually triggered by the words “and now it’s time for Thought for the Day”, but often just because there are cars, well, everywhere.
My musing involves weighing up the pros and cons of different models, assessing new designs, considering the relative merits of different headlight configurations and styles. Building profiles of different manufacturer driver types. Wondering whether people buy white cars because they think it the safest colour or because they (sub-consciously?) want to look like a cast member from TOWIE.
I know, I know. (It’s a long drive)
But anyway, one of the questions I ask myself is if I had to pick one brand of car for the rest of my life, what would it be?
It would be you VW.
Right now – and money / parking no issue – it would be:
- 5-door Golf for the school run (wipe-clean leather seats a must)
- Touareg for family outings and when it snows (4×4 seems compulsory where we live)
- Either 2-door Golf or the latest Beetle (sportiest one available) for the commute (I’m edging towards the Beetle and generally, hairdressers are nice, so that’s fine)
- Classic Splitscreen Campervan (souped-up) for holidays / festivals and generally looking cool (would need to start going to festivals)
- Classic Kharman Ghia (convertible and souped up) for the one sunny day of the year (when the kids are somehow being looked after by someone and for the hell of it).
Would accept a variety of colours but my preference would be black.